Friday, March 17, 2006

Speedy's sucky business! permanent link   4 comments
"Speedy" is my Internet provider. I don't have a choice, it's the only one in Peru. They are expensive, they literally rip the bills out of your wallet (I'm not putting up a link to their website here, check out the rates for yourself). You are desperately trying to find out why that is.
  • Monopoly? Ok, one reason.
  • Reliability? Yes, actually very reliable, only two couple-of-hour outages within the last year as far as I remember.
  • Service? No! Absolutely horrible! Especially their accounting practices.
So I woke up yesterday morning and tried to check my emails. Offline, no connection! My first reaction was to check all the cables, reboot the laptop, check the modem, see if the phone still works, among other troubleshooting activities. Nope, all clear. So we called Speedy. Oops, nobody there until 8 AM. Tried again later to hear that there was an outstanding bill of $5.
First off, our monthly bill for one connection comes in two parts. One is embedded in the phone bill and a second bill comes extra, for whatever reason.
Unfortunately my wife forgot to go to the bank to pay the second one in time. Alright, our mistake, we admit it. And it happens to all of us occasionally, right? Now, what you would expect is that the outstanding amount would show up on your next monthly bill, probably with late fees or interest. Sounds reasonable to me, especially for a first-time offense. At least that's how it's usually handled in all other countries I've lived in. That's good business.

Speedy however has a more violent approach to fight customer tardiness. They hit you where it hurts the most, they simply shut you down and cut off your connection. Without warning! It hurts even more if your business relies on the Internet. If this is your busiest day of the year, as described in Murphy's Law, you're doomed. Turning off your service takes 5 seconds, in the middle of the night. Getting you back online takes over 24 hours and only after five more phone calls, all within regular business hours of course. Biggest hastle.

That's sucky business!!! Monopoly means screwing your customers.


4 Comments:

At 3/19/2006 11:41:00 AM, Blogger De Luis wrote...

Good you bring this up! It’s one of the many small things preventing me too move to Peru yet!

Speedy really sucks, I agree with you. They should be ashamed those Spanish assh…s to offer so less for so much many. Speeds of (200, 400, 600, 900 y 1,200) what’s that!! And then those prices. I get 3 times more speed overhere for the price of Speedy 200!!
I checked the Spanish Telefonica site and it’s also expensive there (compared to the US and other EU countries)

Telefonica simply needs competition, there service level is not that bad (compared to the past in Peru there heaven) but it seems they are only in Peru to make money and I don’t get the feeling they really care. Hopefully the Telco / ISP market will become more competitive with other providers and perhaps WIMAX!!

These days the lack of affordable “speedy” internet connections slows down at least some degree of Peruvian development.

 
At 3/20/2006 04:57:00 PM, Blogger gamma-normids wrote...

Everything ttaht comes from telefonica sucks! Your service is terrible, what I pay is not worthy and if you forget to pay, they call three times a day: they call my house three times a day for a bill we've already arranged to pay in parts but...

 
At 3/22/2006 09:12:00 PM, Anonymous Abs wrote...

I've got speedy as well.

Prices in comparison with those from other countries are outrageous.

And their "only 10% of nominal bandwith guaranteed" is just deceitful advertising.

I would try Emax if were to stay longer in Lima. Seems interesting but i've got no more info or comments from users.

 
At 6/23/2006 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Edgard Porcel wrote...

Welcome to Speedy! haha, I'm glad I don't have to deal with Speedy nowadays... but there you had really bad luck, sometimes they are really negligents, but 1st time I hear they cut out the service for a 1st time non-paid bill

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




eXTReMe Tracker