Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Peru Election: The Voice Of Mother Earth permanent link   3 comments
Latest results as of 10.00pm, Tuesday, 90.99 % of counted votes:

Ollanta Humala: 30.83%
Alan Garcia: 24.32%
Lourdes Flores: 23.61%


Lourdes Flores continues to close in on Alan Garcia, the difference now being 79,838 votes (0,71%).

interesting stats:

The level of no-shows in the elections of April 9th reached 10.77%, which means a drop of 7.62% with respect to the 2001 elections (18.39%). According to the last report by 'Transparencia', the turnout was the third highest in the last 50 years.
Only the elections of 1963 (5.62% absentees), followed by the elections in 1985 (9,46% absentees) had a higher voter participation.
The number of valid votes on a national level arrived at 85.50%, the other 14.5% are blank and invalid votes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. April - update:

At least 1,000 people have suffered respiratory problems from a tower of ash spewing from the Ubinas volcano in southern Peru, and 20 llamas have died after eating poisoned grass, a local official said on Wednesday. It continued to spit out ash and smoke on Wednesday, and the wind was carrying it north. In recorded history, Ubinas has never had a lava eruption, according to experts at the university of Arequipa in southern Peru.


-------
As the suspense for the race to second place is reaching its peak, even Mother Earth is getting a little nervous. Peru's most active volcano, the Ubinas, located approximately 70 km (45 miles) east from Arequipa (map) is spitting ash since late March. Last Saturday, an increasing gas discharge was followed by acid rain that lasted about 10 minutes, causing several families in close proximity to complain of respiratory problems and conjunctivitis. Explosions inside the volcano could be heard and a strong sulfur scent fills the air as dust clouds continue to emerge, disconcerting settlers and local authorities who are contemplating to declare a state of emergency in the area.

read the latest on the belching volcano here

(see video in spanish, MS IE and Media Player only, doesn't work in Firefox)
.


3 Comments:

At 4/18/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Leighton Cooke wrote...

We should always listen to the voice of Mother Earth. Nice to read your comment on Sonia's blog.

 
At 4/18/2006 03:12:00 PM, Blogger gamma-normids wrote...

Oh my! We're sooo screwed. I am really hoping for a miracle and Lourdes should win

 
At 4/18/2006 03:24:00 PM, Blogger Inka-Wolfy wrote...

gamma,
you crack me up :-))

as the old wisdom says: everything happens for a reason.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home




eXTReMe Tracker